Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Father's Dilema

My father turns 60 on Monday. My mind is on him and his life. Basically, he is like millions of other American dads... grew up in the 60s, loved the Beatles, fought in Vietnam, came home, met his wife, settled down and raised a family. What makes my dad different, he's my dad!!!

No really, my father lived a life that consisted of the evening news and the morning paper. When my dad took off in his fuel delivery truck everyone morning, he left human contact behind, not to be bothered again that night. My dad lived a very contented life, not hectic and not complicated.

My dad's life in 2008 looks much different. My dad's favorite channels are CNN and the Weather Channel. He flips back and forth between the two so he can constantly be updated on the news of the world and weather in our region. My dad can no longer use his truck as a get away from problems or stressed of life because everyone has his cell phone number. He thinks there is something suspicious with the computer (Internet) and does not like his grandkids being on it all the time. My dad no longer enjoys the hard work he does for his job, nor does he respect his boss. "There's too much change, " he states. "Everything is on the computer. I just can't keep up."

My dad doesn't feel like he fits into this computerized world. So what does that mean for the next 20 years of his life? Will he simply stop living? (I hope not.) So why am I blogging about my father, a man who has no clue on what a blog even is, when I am suppose to be talking about a technology rich classroom? I am focused on helping our students flourish in this digital world we live in, but I am just as determined to help the "digital immigrants" stay afloat. I get tired of hearing my elder peers say, " I don't have a brain like yours. I can't keep up?" I know the world looks different. I know things have changed, but Baby Boomers, you have a lot to offer. Don't just give up on the world and its digital way - dabble in it. If you don't, the younger generations won't hear your wisdom and your experience. I know the Internet can be an overwhelming experience at first, but swim in it once and a while. Look at what the generation of today is doing, there are some good things out there. I know you don't understand blogs, but come visit mine. You'll see I bragged about you and your hard work and determination.

To those who are new to the digital way of doing things, my hat is off to you. Your generation started the "free thinkers" movement in the 60s. Your generation helped our country to flourish. Your generation invented the Internet. Thank you for all the things you have done. Stay in tuned to the digital age so that my generation and the one after me can continue on with your successes in the digital way. Don't disconnect from us, please.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Your comments brought to mind my mother! She constantly complains that she is lonely and alone (she is homebound). When we suggest that she give email a try, she refuses to even make the attempt. Yet, I know a "young" woman at church who is the same age as my mother and takes and TEACHES computer classes. Even 80 year old minds are able to adapt!

Continue to encourage him to try something new! He may surprise himself (and 60 really is not all that old...really!). Digital life is addicting!